Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What Did You Prep Today

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 3 weeks ago #27391

CinnamonAcid wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:
CinnamonAcid wrote:
I am pretty new to this site so don't know where things are. I would like to know if there is a way to protect an thumb drive and my extra tablet I have from a EMP. I hear the Faraday Cage really doesn't work but wouldn't it work if I buried it deep enough?

NORAD is buried under Cheyenne Mt - solid rock - and they just spent $$$$ billions $$$ upgrading the EMP protection when they moved back underground a couple of years ago ...

I store my thumbdrives in metal match safes that are not only EMP proof but waterproof and crush/shockproof .... great for carry along digital info ....

So wrapping the tablet with aluminum to use the thumb drives will work then? Got to have something to read those puppies with. :P

Can I wrap a whole computer? Stupid question though. So....wrap with cardboard/paper, then tons of aluminum, then stuff in a metal trash can and then bury the sucker halfway to China? Am I close?

you want ruined electronics you bury them like a squirrel ....

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 3 weeks ago #27395

Illini Warrior wrote:
CinnamonAcid wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:
CinnamonAcid wrote:
I am pretty new to this site so don't know where things are. I would like to know if there is a way to protect an thumb drive and my extra tablet I have from a EMP. I hear the Faraday Cage really doesn't work but wouldn't it work if I buried it deep enough?

NORAD is buried under Cheyenne Mt - solid rock - and they just spent $$$$ billions $$$ upgrading the EMP protection when they moved back underground a couple of years ago ...

I store my thumbdrives in metal match safes that are not only EMP proof but waterproof and crush/shockproof .... great for carry along digital info ....

So wrapping the tablet with aluminum to use the thumb drives will work then? Got to have something to read those puppies with. :P

Can I wrap a whole computer? Stupid question though. So....wrap with cardboard/paper, then tons of aluminum, then stuff in a metal trash can and then bury the sucker halfway to China? Am I close?

you want ruined electronics you bury them like a squirrel ....

Watching this newest post from Common Sense does not help. Looks like I am going to be busy tomorrow digging a hole.

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 3 weeks ago #27396

• DFWguy
  • Fresh Boarder
That audio clip was one of Hodges' better ones; he has a reputation of being a Chicken Little - and he does lead his witness, even now. But if Mr. Martin has solid information as he claims, we should start running drills - little ones, family-wide, and short. In order to learn what works (from among what we anticipated would work) and what not-so-much. Aircraft crews have emergency checklists, and they have saved many a life in an acute situation. The onset of an EMP situation would likely take a small fraction of a second, and whatever you had intended to get from the supermarket (never mind Amazon and/or eBay and/or Craigslist) the following morning will suddenly be moot.

What difference would practicing fundamentals do - hands-on practice, not just making believe and moving around and touching things with your fingertips? Allow a short story from my days as a Boy Scout Leader.

It was Camporee time, and TPTB announced that the competitive event would be done by patrols, as follows:
* the patrol starts at a line, carrying match & kindling, a sleeping bag and a tent. At the opening shot they run 100 yards to campsite.
* one crew starts a fire, another pitches the tent, lays the sleeping bag inside, and the patrol leader gets into the sleeping bag
* the [adult] range officer provides a cast iron frying pan and pours a pancake worth of batter into it as the fire-builder holds it.
* the pancake is cooked over the fire, and flipped (without spatula) and when cooked, fed to the patrol leader in the tent
* when the patrol leader has swallowed the last bite, out he comes, the sleeping bag is rolled up, the tent struck and the fire put out.
* the patrol then runs with their stuff the 100 yards back to the starting line, and the clock stops.
When I read the scope and sequence, I estimated that a well-practiced patrol could get that done in ~20 minutes. Then in rehearsal for the event, I watched in blank astonishment as one of the patrols in my troop finished the event in 4 minutes 10 seconds flat. They just knew what to do, and never wasted a motion. And these were all 12-13 year-old boys, not that far out of Cub Scouts. And they were on their own - I wasn't allowed to say a word to them during the event. You can do that too, if the surprise with which the disaster takes you is only a fraction of a second long, before you swing into action.

Each of you will have his/her unique list of things not-yet-done. I propose that once you have that list (long or short) you prioritize it for minimum regret. Start at the top of that prioritized list, and work down. If you find halfway down the list that you got some of the items in the wrong order, then go ahead and re-prioritize - and then start in again on the top of that residuum. Unless we're granted a generous amount of time, you won't get it all done. But you won't beat yourself up because you regard yourself as too stupid to have gotten some of the important stuff done at the get-go. If the cataclysm envelops us before you get down to the nits, you've still done the best you could, and if it turns out not to be enough, at least no other way of going about the prepping would have delivered better [and still partial!] results. Losing a race because you can't run any faster, is IMHO far different from losing one because of fiddle-farting at the starting line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimCosta, CinnamonAcid

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27411

• LilMike
  • Platinum Boarder
I have that same dehumidifier in your picture.

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27412

Here is an example why I am trying to prep for the electric grid going down. This happened where I live on Saturday.

"According to officials, a series of power outages at the Westside Wastewater Treatment Facility caused the release of about 110,000 gallons of partially-treated sewage and close to 400,000 gallons of untreated sewage."

What power failure? We had no storm, it was sunny, no one blew anything up...nothing. Whether there was a good reason they lost power in a series of outages it happens and it's getting worse.

katu.com/news/local/400000-gallons-of-ra...r-west-of-i-5-bridge

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27414

Tonight I drove a little more than an hour away for a Craigslist ad for 5 ACU pants and 7 ACU tops for $30.00 all large/regular. Most will be part of the OD Green Rit Dye experiment. Some will be sold on eBay to recoup a few $.

The seller was a retired 1SG with 27 years of service.

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27424

• DFWguy
  • Fresh Boarder
I have successfully enclosed stuff in 50-cal ammo cans. The lid (when dogged down) provides EMP-proof shielding. I was curious about the electrical resistance through the hinges at the end opposite to the bail. So I took a can in to work, where one of the techs put a milli-ohmmeter on it. All the way open, the resistance through the hinges was 33 milli-Ohm. That is VERY, very good.

So then, this steel can will fit inside a plastic Cabela's ammo can with a pretty-effective anti-moisture seal around it. The resulting 2-layer can can be buried 9i have done so with several of them) or not.

If the enclosure of your choice attenuates the EMP's voltage by, say 40 dB (quite achievable with the above 2-layer enclosure) then the voltage that gets through is 1% of the voltage outside, which may reach 50,000 Volts/meter. So inside this can, the voltage might be 500 Volts/meter or 5 Volts/centimeter. Essentially any modern electronic device can shrug that off - unless you've connected it to long wires outside the can. Those wires become the antennas of doom.

Much of the EMP testing done in the last 20+ years in America used EMP Test Generators. I am in contact with one of the people who built at least one of those generators; I will pick his brain for now-declassified information about the tests they ran, and how they came out. This information will come in small chunks (I only see him briefly a couple times a month, and we're both busy) but yes, i'll share.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neo

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27427

• DFWguy
  • Fresh Boarder
Several days after my heads-up on EMP, another story came my way. This out of the Washington Post. Cliff Notes:

The US Navy had been tracking a dodgy ship out of port in North Korea. As the ship approached the south terminus of the Suez Canal, the Navy sent a secret message to the Egyptians - who swarmed the ship. It was
* a rust-bucket - most of its on-board systems inoperative - probably its last voyage
* under the piles of Iron ore in the hold were an illicit shipment of 36,000 RPGs
* the ship was registered as Cambodian, but the crew were all North Korean.
* the crew had turned off the ship's transponder during dashes and maneuvers that apparently they wanted to execute un-watched

So, apparently the US Navy
* saw through the NK subterfuge
* has been tracking ships out of NK harbors at least since Feb 2017, and arguably well before then
* it does something (in this case, vicarious intercept) when the time is right.

That the USN is being this watchful 24/7 is a comfort. It now snaps clear what they are doing with those drones that will go up to 50,000 feet and loiter for 24+ hours - and harvest exquisitely detailed images of the surface below. They're baby-sitting hostile sea vessels headed toward us. A HELLFIRE (with 50# high-explosive warhead) would make SUCH a mess aboard a tramp steamer fueling an ICBM and with the launch-tube lid off. If the ship is indeed a rust-bucket on its last legs, it might even sink the ship.

So - the threat is as real (and likely as intense) as I posited above. OTOH America doesn't apparently have all its defensive eggs in one basket (just offshore of NK...). Things appear to be as I had hoped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thaddeus

Re: What Did You Prep Today 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27428

• Thaddeus
  • Platinum Boarder
DFWguy wrote:
Several days after my heads-up on EMP, another story came my way. This out of the Washington Post. Cliff Notes:

The US Navy had been tracking a dodgy ship out of port in North Korea. As the ship approached the south terminus of the Suez Canal, the Navy sent a secret message to the Egyptians - who swarmed the ship. It was
* a rust-bucket - most of its on-board systems inoperative - probably its last voyage
* under the piles of Iron ore in the hold were an illicit shipment of 36,000 RPGs
* the ship was registered as Cambodian, but the crew were all North Korean.
* the crew had turned off the ship's transponder during dashes and maneuvers that apparently they wanted to execute un-watched

So, apparently the US Navy
* saw through the NK subterfuge
* has been tracking ships out of NK harbors at least since Feb 2017, and arguably well before then
* it does something (in this case, vicarious intercept) when the time is right.

That the USN is being this watchful 24/7 is a comfort. It now snaps clear what they are doing with those drones that will go up to 50,000 feet and loiter for 24+ hours - and harvest exquisitely detailed images of the surface below. They're baby-sitting hostile sea vessels headed toward us. A HELLFIRE (with 50# high-explosive warhead) would make SUCH a mess aboard a tramp steamer fueling an ICBM and with the launch-tube lid off. If the ship is indeed a rust-bucket on its last legs, it might even sink the ship.

So - the threat is as real (and likely as intense) as I posited above. OTOH America doesn't apparently have all its defensive eggs in one basket (just offshore of NK...). Things appear to be as I had hoped.

Funny how news such as this is never made public.....

Re: What Did You Prep Today 2 months, 2 weeks ago #27527

Bought an Army intermediate sleeping bag for $4 or 5.00 from a local auction maybe August timeframe. It had maybe 8 rips and some small abrasions on it. I finally got it all sewed up so it is fully mission capable now. I washed it twice. Once rightside out and once inside out to get any icks it may have had. It will now be put into a BOB that does not have a MSS in it. I do want to get an MSS Gortex bivy for it. Just an extra layer of protection for it during a SHTF

When I was getting ready to bid on it I was figuring how much I was going to spend, placed my bid and then nothing. No other bids. Either I got really lucky or we are truly a throw away society and nobody wanted to mess with the repairs. If there would of been no tears I would of put the sleeping bag into the very good to excellent category.

My wife worked my a*s off this summer and fall. From all of the yard sale crap to trying to cut firewood. I went from a 38" to a 36" pants waist size. Before I left the military I was a 34" so I am happy. I just need to finish loosing this pot belly or beer belly or what ever its called today. I just call it fat.
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds