Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 8 months, 1 week ago #27009

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Memo Out to our 50 members: Who are Non-Combatants?

We all realize why we need to identify who the Combatant Defenders will be because they will need to obtain those physical instruments that will help them prevail in combat. So if you are as broke as I am you hope you aren't a combatant.

Generally a non-combatant will be anyone sickly or with a worn out body. They will be stationed in the barn.

Generally a non-combatant will be a female. They will be stationed in the barn.

Generally a non-combatant will be anyone without a defensive weapon. They may be stationed in the barn.

However, consider these exceptions:

Men in their 60s will be ideal as Sleeping Guards because they do not have a long distance to traverse to reinforce the gate.

They would also be ideal because they have to use the bathroom quite often when sleeping and therefore seldom go into a deep sleep, ensuring a more rapid response than younger defenders.

Some women may choose to serve as combatants.

Several members have more than one defensive long gun that they may lend out.
It would be upon you however to secure your own bag to carry your defensive gear in.
You can run through the woods with a $15 Mussette bag or a noisy plastic Wynn Dixie bag. Your choice.

As intruders move towards the barn there will be fewer and fewer Non-Combatants there.
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by JimCosta.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 6 months, 2 weeks ago #27157

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Cutting Members

Yesterday I had to cut my brother and Sister-In-law from our roster. I am still hurting from it. Actually he cut himself after I suggested he get serious after 18 months, plug in, attend training meetings, purchase the last of his minimum required equipment ($300), and generally give his best efforts to prepping.

He lives in a Million dollar townhouse on the beach and they make about $200,000 per year. He joined when his wife said to get the family prepared. He gave me $400 to purchase 3 months food supply for each of them (minimum food entry amount). He has done nothing else to prepare since then – no guns, no sleeping bags, no concern as to where they would sleep, etc. Now his 35 year old step daughter moved in with them until next June. If activated, that leaves the three of them with only a two month food supply, below our minimum. He does not opt to cure the defects.

I have said before that making the decision to survive a long term life threatening ordeal (lost in the swamp) is like haucking up a good luggie to spit. You have to dig down really deep inside yourself and make the deliberate decision that you will do whatever it takes to survive; anything! My kinfolk have not gotten there yet.

Our leadership met and discussed lack of sleep on members causing them to become depressed and unable to perform well in their particular jobs. We took action to mitigate this. But here my brother does not even have a place to sleep nor does he care. He then will immediately become a liability to the group.

Another couple joined us three months ago. We interviewed him. His wife is a veterinarian surgeon, both 35 years old. He is a Marine Biologist with Fish and Wildlife; no kids. They would be welcomed into anyone’s group, right? Well, she does not want to hear anything about prepping from Hubby. We have not seen or heard from him since other than rumors he is secretly gathering supplies. Now we hear his in-laws have moved in with them and they cannot be approached about prepping either. I have been instructed by the leadership to inform Hubby that we will hold his application until his family is prepared to properly join the group.

The point is that all groups must be prepared to do whatever is best for the group to survive. In our case, we are terrified that upon activation unprepared people show up at the gate expecting to come in. We don’t need a shoot-out at the gate nor do they. It is probably best to be honest and candid up front. If a member chooses not to give best efforts to prepping it may be best to lose that member.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by JimCosta.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 6 months, 2 weeks ago #27159

JimCosta wrote:
Cutting Members

Yesterday I had to cut my brother and Sister-In-law from our roster.

He joined when his wife said to get the family prepared.

He is a Marine Biologist with Fish and Wildlife

she does not want to hear anything about prepping from Hubby.

We have not seen or heard from him since other than rumors he is secretly gathering supplies. Now we hear his in-laws have moved in with them and they cannot be approached about prepping either.

From what you wrote it sounds like you need to have a private talk with the sis in law. If she wants the security then she can talk to him on her end. Does she know they were temporarily booted? If not it would be wise to inform her. Also how little he did to prepare them. Might piss him off but he will get over it. If he is lucky there will be a minor SHTF that will temporarily F him and he will wake up to the benefits of having some supplies and protection.

The Marine biologist needs to grow a pair and not give a choice. My wife was similar and I basically told her to get bent. If something were to happen and we did not have preparations for the kids then it would be on us. You have to take it into steps. Little bit of extra food. A medical kit(which the wife could provide). Generator for power outages. After we bought our first generator, that winter we had an ice storm and we lost power for several days she was pretty thankful that she listened. If he can tolerate the in laws moving in then she can tolerate some preparations.

Men need to stop letting women run them. If the women isn't into letting the relationship be at least 50/50% then the man needs to run and find another women that isn't into a power trip. No wonder men are running from having relationship. MGTOW

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 6 months, 2 weeks ago #27161

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
MatGen: I agree with everything you say, but. . .

I have never wanted to force joining on anybody. That is why we have websites (private and by invitation only) to be used for recruiting. I do not wish to hard sell anyone on wanting to survive - either you are there or you are not. To me, to try to hard sell it is like vomiting on people; they don't appreciate it.

My Sister-In-Law was in bed with the flu yesterday. My brother is not the sharing type. He is not a planner desiring to wipe out problems in his life. That's just who he is.

When we interview, we focus first on if potential members "have their heads right". This means first are they dedicated to surviving? Secondly, have they been through the depression of realizing friends and family unprepared may die and they cannot change that? They said they were OK leaving their uninterested kids. Now they have a daughter back in state and in their house and a second daughter with their brand new first granddaughter. Neither my brother or his wife are the type to broach the prepping conversation. So there they will sit until they choose not to. But in the meantime they have become a liability to the group.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by JimCosta.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 6 months, 2 weeks ago #27163

• Thaddeus
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds like my wife.
I have to prep on the down-low and keep everything under her radar.
I am not doing anything outrageous, but it is VERY difficult to prep when your spouse is opposed to everything you do.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 6 months, 2 weeks ago #27164

Thaddeus wrote:
Sounds like my wife.
I have to prep on the down-low and keep everything under her radar.
I am not doing anything outrageous, but it is VERY difficult to prep when your spouse is opposed to everything you do.

Totally understand. That's the way it was in the beginning stages here. Finally I said screw it I'm doing it and what are you going to do about it. If you try to stop me then I will do it behind your back. Its a fight and battle that I'm willing to conduct. I told her as long as things are done in moderation, bills are paid and kids are fed what is it going to hurt. Any larger purchases then we consult each other to discuss the price, pros, cons and benefits. We are by no means rich or wealthy but we are not poor either. I finally wore her down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sgtblue

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 3 months, 2 weeks ago #27399

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Beans – The Musical Fruit

I noticed that our local Sam’s club now stocks 50 lb. bags of dried Pinto beans for $28. They never carried them before. I had planned on purchasing several next month for our prepping supplies.
I already have several 5 gallon buckets of them. But then I decided to do an analysis on dried pinto beans.

They are needed because when beans are served with rice, they yield protein.

Then I discovered that they require cooking for an average of 2 hours. In a grid down situation, that is a lot of fuel, along with exposure of smoke and smells that may telegraph neighbors what’s for supper.

Finally I concluded that for the same price or a lot less than some prices, you can buy canned beans that are fully cooked and store about 40 years. This may be a better choice for most preppers.

Dollar General 15 oz can, Fully Cooked Cost: $0.67; 4.0 Cents per Oz (per 50 lbs: $32)

Sam’s Club 50 lbs Bag, dry & Uncooked. Cost: $28; 3.5 cents per Oz. (per 50 lbs: $28)

Augason Farms 5 Gallon bucket, 41 lbs., Uncooked. Cost:$85; 13.0 cents per Oz. (per 50 lbs: $104)

Note: The 15 oz can may is based on a very little water weight as well. Thus dried beans may give you more beans.

P.S. I think a hearty protein survival meal of beans, rice and bullion cube would cost less than 50 cents per adult. Advanced: Add a splash of granulated garlic, powdered onion and perhaps even a can of Ro-tel tomatoes (80 cents) and now you have a real meal. Cost: 83 cents per adult.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by JimCosta.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 3 months, 1 week ago #27415

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
I added this verbiage to the last article posted to Systematic Approach To Group survival series:

If a Prepper is not only concerned about survival but is also concerned about not losing muscle tone, then consider investing $20 per month in just beans and rice, if you are flat broke. This is the cheapest you will survive AND look great in that new Speedo bathing suit!

The Protein in Rice & Beans
This article suggests for protein needs, eat 6 cups of beans weekly. When combined with rice, perfect protein is yielded. This equates to a half of a 16 oz can of beans daily, or 15 cans per month.

Facts / Assumptions:

* * Can of Black Black Beans; 15 ounces; cost: 65 cents; Contains 2.25 cups.

* * 50 Lb Bag of uncooked rice: Cost: $15 at Sam’s Club; Yields 300 cups of Cooked Rice.

* * Calories per Cup of:
Beans - 220
Cooked Rice: 213

Calories Provided:
Beans per day: 220 1 cup
Rice Per day: 1,278 6 cups
Total Daily Calories: 1,498

(Note: Less than 1,200 calories per day is considered starving;
Ideal would be 2,000 calories per day)

One Month Cost of Beans & Rice:

Beans (½ cup/can per Day) $10
Rice (6 cups per day) $9 (1 lb uncooked rice per day)
Rounding $1
----
Total Monthly Cost: $20
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by JimCosta.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 3 months, 1 week ago #27418

Be careful of simply comparing weights, as you are mostly buying water in the canned beans. For a great many years I have enjoyed cooking dried beans as a regular meal component. The easiest approach is to soak them overnight and throw them in a crockpot in the morning. To do it without electricity, soak overnight and then cook in a pressure cooker. Very fast and it uses far less heat. A small rocket stove does just fine with a pressure cooker.

Re: Systematic Approach To Groups - Conversations 3 months, 1 week ago #27438

Getting real out there wrote:
Be careful of simply comparing weights, as you are mostly buying water in the canned beans. For a great many years I have enjoyed cooking dried beans as a regular meal component. The easiest approach is to soak them overnight and throw them in a crockpot in the morning. To do it without electricity, soak overnight and then cook in a pressure cooker. Very fast and it uses far less heat. A small rocket stove does just fine with a pressure cooker.

I didn't even think about putting a pressure cooker on a rocket stove. Thanks for that info.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds