Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Antennas

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27236

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for the correction VFA. As I said, I am the Village Idiot, especially when it comes to antennas.
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by JimCosta.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27237

• VFA-305
  • Platinum Boarder
Village Idiot? I think that might be a bit harsh!

I'm not expert with antennas. The ARRL Antenna book is huge and I do not pretend to understand it all. I know the basics.

Learning new things is something I like about this group. The day you stop learning is the day your six feet under!

Cheers.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27238

• sgtblue
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm using an antennae in my car that I switch back and forth between my 2 bander and my CB. I do better with the 2 band..there isn't a lot of traffic on the CB much anymore but its nice to have anyway on the interstate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VFA-305

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27239

• sgtblue
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm no expert either, a ham buddy set it up for me and it works so he gets the credit. KK4SQY

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27240

• VFA-305
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting...I have noticed the same thing. I can turn my CB on and never hear anything but static. However, living in a remote area like this...you can listen to the two meter rig and never hear anyone. We have two repeaters around here and sometimes I am talking to myself.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27241

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
VFA-305 wrote:
Interesting...I have noticed the same thing. I can turn my CB on and never hear anything but static. However, living in a remote area like this...you can listen to the two meter rig and never hear anyone. We have two repeaters around here and sometimes I am talking to myself.

And therein is the problem. We, who early on in planning for communications during a chaos, are lulled into false assumptions, including myself.

I originally became a HAM for our survival group and then focused on local 2 meter intel monitoring using the repeaters. I joined the local HAM club to gain more chaos information without them knowing what I was doing (fear of embarrassment and scareing others). I then began talking to the two gents that maintained the two club repeaters and questioned them about backup power. I learned that they had the best there was and the batteries will continue to operate for two weeks without recharging. I was impressed.

But later upon asking again I learned that "two weeks" was at current usage. In a true chaos situation, everyone with a radio will be on the air. That destroys the two week projection. Now sure they are also using solar but what if it rains? What if everyone uses a radio to ask if it is raining? What if. . ?

It was then that I personally began to build an inventory to communicate more in the neighborhood with 2 meter pass-out radios and the GMRS cheap Walmart walkie talkies. I installed antennas that extended all of those models ranges with rooftop antennas. That I can control. I cannot control the repeaters (unless I build my own which I do not wish to). And for me, the most versatile radio to do this is the 2 Meter, $25 Baofeng which is the only HAM radio to also communicate with the Walmart cheapies. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the CBs, as we have a few of those in inventory as well. The more options one has, the more guaranteed of success one is.

So the take away here is do not count on the repeaters! At best we can count on about 6 to perhaps 10 miles, depending on your location, antenna height and radio types (bands). It took me two years and lots of wasted money to arrive at this conclusion. So please do not think of me as a big mouth know it all - I am just a garden variety slow learning dumbass. And who knows, I probably still haven't got it right but at least I was able to come to some sort of plan and implement it, right or wrong. I figure we are all doing this, just fumbling our way through the myriad of problems that are mostly beyond us.
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by JimCosta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VFA-305

Re: Antennas 4 months, 2 weeks ago #27300

I am in the process of writing a up a story or article of my journey and what I'm learing so far and you experienced guys probably will know most of it but I have acquired a crap load of communication pdf both CB and Ham.

Re: Antennas 1 month ago #27627

I’m a little ways from an interstate but still pick up traffic off the cb but I have a 72 foot tower my cb antenna is on top of. There are also more and more truckers going to Ham Radio they can talk both local and long distance depending on the band they are on. We have two different truckers we hear on our local repeater as they pass thru weekly on their long haul.

Re: Antennas 3 weeks, 5 days ago #27652

• Venator
  • Fresh Boarder
I relocated to a north central NH community this past summer. I have lots of land and zero neighbors to worry about. My problem is that while there are lots of trees, they aren't in the right location to accommodate the building of a 160 - 10 meter loop. Even an OCF would be tough to locate. Hoping to snag a used telephone pole to give me a central feed point.

Regarding CB or ham, there is really no contest. Sure, you can amplify your signal (illegally) but you still don't have the selection of bandwidths to match the distance or propagation conditions. Join a ham club and they'll help you get set up with a license (so you know what you're doing) and a decent rig. Don't skimp on an antennae. They're your ears to what's happening in the rest of the country/world.

73!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds