Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Antennas

Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27219

When ever things slow down at home I plan on starting a thread on COMMO. After inquiring about a CB dipole antenna. www.ebay.com/itm/192185235051?ul_noapp=true Doc gave me a lot of education about antennas at the risk of loosing a sale. This guy is awesome and he is a Christian to boot.

Long story short I told him I was starting to dabble in CB and inquired about the dipole for SHTF patrol purposes. He said to stick to a good vertical ground plane antenna and for longer distance then go with the dipole antenna. I will do as he says but I do want to get the dipole in the future just not right now. Gotta keep priorities.

There is a lot more to the conversation I would have to copy it and paste if anybody wants to know it cuz I'm not typing it all out, LOL. So if you are interested in a what appears to me a very well made American dipole antennas for CB and Ham check these guys out.
www.ebay.com/itm/192185235051?ul_noapp=true

dr-dipole.com/Home.html

Re: Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27220

• sgtblue
  • Platinum Boarder
CB is a nice start but get into ham if possible and increase your distances. Its amazing how far you can get out with the hand held models and the car models too. Maybe join a local ham club. Those guys will guide you and will help you pick out the equipment to fit your budget. I was lucky enough to have some neighbors help me install an antennae and steered me to some used radios before I overspent on something that i may have lost interest on later. Good luck with it!

Re: Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27222

sgtblue wrote:
CB is a nice start but get into ham if possible and increase your distances. Its amazing how far you can get out with the hand held models and the car models too. Maybe join a local ham club. Those guys will guide you and will help you pick out the equipment to fit your budget. I was lucky enough to have some neighbors help me install an antennae and steered me to some used radios before I overspent on something that i may have lost interest on later. Good luck with it!

I know where you are coming from but I have 0 interest in Ham. My commo is for grid down/emp long term SHTF. Without towers/repeaters ham isn't to to good for a lot of the models. I have zero interest in talking to people across the world or across the country right now and the radio cost is expensive. I have FRS/GMRS which will be for local but with the CB I can get out far enough 20+/- miles for patrol purposes. With the dipole you can get out a lot further for intel purposes. I may still look into the ham club if there is one in my area for CB purposes.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27223

• sgtblue
  • Platinum Boarder
Radio clubs I doubt even deal with CB,mine doesn't. The hand helds are as cheap as the CB units and some have the ability to not only get out on other bands but have CB in them too. We used them in our local CERT team and save money over the little family radios that were by line of sight. Anyway..good luck with it and let us know how your dipole is working.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27224

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
As is always the case, there is no right answer.

MatGen, you are probably right in selecting CB for 20 mile range communication with your patrols. That is a great distance. HAM would be hard pressed to do that for the same cost, plus for now, you would need a HAM license.

I do not have any answers here, just one question. In regards of listening in for intel, what are the number of expected CB users in the area verses 2 Meter HAM users?

The 2 Meter is easy to calculate. It is (.002 X Your County Population) X (60%). The 60% is the percentage of HAMS with 2 Meter radios.

The CB is harder to calculate. Start here: Link

The best I can see is (11 million trucks / 300 million U.S. population) = 0.36% or 3 tenths of a percent, which is not far from the 2 Meter owners.
Therefore, If 100% of 18 wheelers use CB,
then 4% of your County Population have CBs.
Note: I really question the logic in the above. I am not sure if truckers still use CB verses other modes. Do your own research. Make your own decisions. Then again, maybe you have already done so. But this is an interesting new angle. There was a post in the above link stating that the Feds no longer use CB licensing and so have lost count.
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by JimCosta.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27227

sgtblue wrote:
Radio clubs I doubt even deal with CB,mine doesn't. The hand helds are as cheap as the CB units and some have the ability to not only get out on other bands but have CB in them too. We used them in our local CERT team and save money over the little family radios that were by line of sight. Anyway..good luck with it and let us know how your dipole is working.

Yeah, I see that a lot of small ham units are coming down on price. The CBs that I have been buy are from an auction and I got a base station a mobile for $5.00. Another auction two mobiles for $5.00 and another the same. I just got one at Goodwill for $4.00.

Some of these may be duds and I am hoping most are operational. I recently go the 12v plug/wiring for them to test and I have vehicle antennas in the mail.

I try to do things on a budget but still tactically proficient.

At the auction I just got a 45' tower for mounting commo antennas on. I thing I got it for $50.00. I do have to configure and weld a base to it. Or I should say my buddy has to weld a base to it.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 3 weeks ago #27228

JimCosta wrote:

The best I can see is (11 million trucks / 300 million U.S. population) = 0.36% or 3 tenths of a percent, which is not far from the 2 Meter owners. Therefore, If 100% of 18 wheelers use CB, then 4% of your County Population have CBs.

This is actually good news because the less listening the less eaves dropping. I have to check out that link.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27233

• VFA-305
  • Platinum Boarder
I just installed a new antenna for my Ham Station. It covers 40-6 meters and I am going to see how it works on CB.

deltagndup.jpeg

In this photo it was at 10 feet to ensure everything is working. Currently at 25 feet and working well.

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27234

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
My understanding is that the CB antenna is almost the same size as a 2 Meter antenna.
So I doubt your new antenna will work on the CB.

See this article: www.worldwidedx.com/threads/mobile-2-meter-antennas.98099/

Please Note: If you only take one piece of advice from this Village Idiot, Do NOT get confused and hit the transmit switch on a radio without it being connected to an antenna. It will fry your transmitter!
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by JimCosta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Materielgeneral

Re: Antennas 5 months, 2 weeks ago #27235

• VFA-305
  • Platinum Boarder
Jim, I would have to disagree.

Two meter band operates from 144-148 MHz. The CB band operates around 27 MHz which is the 11 Meter band. 11 meters falls between the 12 Meter band (24MHz) and the 10 meter band (28 MHz). A loop antenna designed to operate from 40 meters to 6 meters (7MHz to 50 MHz) should work just fine on CB Freqs.

The only reason a CB antenna is the same size as a two meter antenna is because it has a loading coil of some type. That would make the two antennas physically the same size but electrically they are different.

The formula to determine a half wave antenna is 468 divided by the frequency in Megahertz. An antenna designed for 10 meters is closer than anything made for two meters.

Loops are very broad banded and need a tuner to operate.

K7KPH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thaddeus, Materielgeneral
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds