Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Baofeng Questions

Re: Baofeng Questions 2 weeks ago #27705

I ended up going with the UV-5R and a longer antenna. I want to see how things work out before going bigger and better.

Re: Baofeng Questions 2 weeks ago #27706

prepsimple wrote:
My feelings are more wattage is just that, more wattage! Jim probably is right to some degree about the difference between 5 and 8 watts being about the same as changing to a longer antenna. So, for price range, get the 8 watts and the longer antenna.
As I said earlier, for the price the Baofengs are hard to beat. They are great to have for local comms.
Oh yeah, I do have a longer antenna on my 8 watt. Works fine for a compact handheld.

I ended up going with the cheaper UV-5R to get my feet wet. If I like it then I plan on going with the 8 watt model also.

Part of my security plan for SHTF will be using the FRS/MGRS hand radios and I figure having those 8 watts will help with some range when needed. I have a Rino 520 and Midland vehicle that are 5 Watts that would go with the 8 watt well.

The Midland I was thinking of getting an antenna for it and run it up my 40' tower and then run it off a 12v battery as part of my comms desk.

Re: Baofeng Questions 2 weeks ago #27707

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Mat Gen: Again remember I am not a thing type person.

Several years ago when we first started prepping up we focused on the Midland GMRS radios. The GMRS radios have fixed antennas (per the Gov.).

To extend their ranges, we purchased a Midland Base station for around $80. It too had a fixed antenna. A friend who was a HAM cut into the plastic case and installed a line to a roof top antenna. That doubled the GMRS range.

If my friend is not your friend do not despair. Buy a car Baofeng antenna and mount it on the roof of your house or up your tower. Use one Beofeng as a base station.

You just accomplished what he did for us.
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by JimCosta.

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 6 days ago #27708

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Baofeng Operating Manual

The manual with the radio is in upside down Chinese and is the size of your thumb. That is why the people over there have squinty eyes.

Below is the PDF of the full sized English version.
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Materielgeneral

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 6 days ago #27709

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
When you receive your Baofeng radios.

They come with fully charged batteries.
First install the antenna so you don't accidentally fry one like I did.

Next you have to program them. They come with about 20 trash frequencies already loaded (for testing?).
You should delete them because in an emergency, simpler is better. I will tell you how to delete them later. Use Menu #28 to clear each one at a time. Takes a total of about 3 minutes. Don't forget channel 00.

Next For prepping, you will have to decide what channels you want on each radio. You can have up to 128 channels programmed. See the next frame for planning.

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 6 days ago #27710

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Planning your programming needs.

For prepping, you have to clarify what you are trying to accomplish with the Baofengs.

Our large group wanted to use the Baofengs in conjunction with the FMRS/GMRS cheap radios.
Those radios use about 30 preprogrammed frequencies. ie: 15 FMRS and about 15 GMRS frequencies.

If you wanted to program all of them into the Baofeng, they might occupy channels 1 -30.

We then programmed a few Repeater channels for the three county area. We used Channels 40-49 for County 1; channels 50-59 for County 2, etc.

Then we used the 100 to 128 channels for Simplex (From one Beofeng to another Baofeng).

That was our original plan. But it changed.

We then realized we needed radios for several purposes: Security, Long Range Patrols and for Intelligence gathering.

Security Radios: Range of less than one mile and communicate with GMRS radios and Baofengs.
Programmed for only ONE GMRS channel (GMRS channel 3) set as channel 19 on the Baofeng used by intelligence, as they have all 30 FMRS/GMRS channels on their Baofengs.

The reason for this arrangement is that Security needs only one channel to communicate with. They need not be distracted by listening to 100 channels at once; they need to listen for intruders and let Intelligence listen to 100 channels.

Therefore, our Security Baofengs are programmed with the following three channels:
. . . Baofeng Channel 19 - GMRS Channel 3.
. . . Baofeng Channel 41 Local repeater in our county - for beer runs 40 miles away.
. . . Baofeng Channel 101 Simplex up to 4 to 6 miles for short patrols or private talk to Security Platoon
. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Leaders that friendly and enemy GMRS radios cannot hear.

. . . . . . Benefit? By doing it this way I hope that the GMRS radios can save power by monitoring just one channel and avoiding the scan mode.

Our Intelligence Radios have all 30 FMRs/GMRS channels, 4 Repeater channels and two Simplex channels.
One also has a hand held Yagi (directional) antenna so we can determine the direction of a FMRS/GMRS radio broadcast.

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 6 days ago #27711

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Frequencies You Will Need.

Below is a spreadsheet of all MY local frequencies. The first 22 channels are all the FMRS/GMRS frequencies. We chose channel 3 just because . .

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The Repeater frequency(ies) needed you will have to get by contacting your local Amateur Radio Club. They will give you the switch settings You will need. Just substitute their settings for my Channel 41 in the instructions in the next frame.

Simplex Frequency: Use what i did for channel 101 in the next frame.

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 6 days ago #27712

• JimCosta
  • Gold Boarder
Jim's Instructions for Programming Security Baofengs.

Be aware that when making any menu CHANGE the Baofeng takes about 5 to 10 seconds to record that change. Watch the monitor for it to stop blinking when posting. You will get the hang of this when trying to delete the preloaded channels. To check if you have deleted a channel, go into Menu #28, up arrow to the channel to be checked and make certain it does not have a "CH" in front of that channel number.

The programming of Repeater channels (my #41) is tricky. If you do not program in the order that I show, it will not let you change certain fields. So follow the menu changes in the same order as I show.
IE: Menu item 27,11,13,16, 23, 25, 22.

See my Local Security Instructions below.

Attachment Security Radios.doc not found

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 6 days ago #27713

• prepsimple
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice plan Jim!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimCosta

Re: Baofeng Questions 1 week, 5 days ago #27714

Thanks for the help Jim.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds